The Brandenburg Gate is an architectural monument, one of the symbols of Berlin, the former city gate. The Brandenburg Gate is the only surviving city gate of Berlin. In 1788-1791, built by Carl Gotthard Langhans at the behest of King Friedrich Wilhelm II.
The top of the Brandenburg Gate is crowned by a quadriga, a four-horse chariot. This sculpture was taken to Paris during the Napoleonic Wars, after the French occupied the city, and was returned only 8 years later.
During the Cold War, the Brandenburg Gate was part of the Berlin Wall that separated East and West Germany. After the historic fall of the Berlin Wall, this gate became a symbol of a unified Germany.